Have you heard of Bak Kwa Castella Cake ?
Well, I have and its delicious.
Bak Kwa is a sweet-salty marinated preserved meat kind of thing. Combine it together with Parmesan Cheese on top of a light airy sponge. A mixture of sweet and savory in perfect combination. ( Read further for my Bak Kwa Castella Cake Recipe)
I chanced upon a recipe while scrolling through Instagram and it appeared on the “8-days” Instagram page with their Bak Kwa Castella Cake recipe by Florence Fong.
I changed the sliced cheese to mozzarella as I’m not a very big fan of adding sliced cheese into my cake. It was good, but the Bak Kwa and the mozzarella sank slightly making it a bit dense at the bottom.
I totally removed the Mozzarella, increased the amount of Parmesan Cheese and it came out perfect.
So with Chinese New Year coming in 2 weeks, what better time to share this recipe than right now.
This is my slightly modified recipe, tasted and approved by friends who immediately asked for the recipe to try it out at home.
(Click on the link for the printable PDF version)
- 100g Milk
- 45g Corn Oil
- 115g Cake/HongKong Flour
- 30g Parmesan Cheese(grated)
- 7 Egg Yolk
- 8 Egg Whites
- 3/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 120g Caster sugar
For the toppings
- 1 Slice Bak Kwa ( Cut into small pieces)
- 30g Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 150degC ( top, bottom heat). Place a tray on the lowest rack of the oven and a wire rack on top of the tray. Fill 1/2 of the tray up with boiling water.
2. Line cake tin with baking paper ( I use a 10x7x3 inch cake tin)
3. Heat up milk in the the microwave (40 seconds)
4. Heat up oil in the microwave (60 seconds)
5. Pour hot oil into flour and mix with a spatula until it forms a dough
6. Add in milk and Parmesan cheese and mix it well
7. Add in egg yolks one at a time and whisk till smooth and set aside
8. Using a standing mixer/hand mixer, whisk egg whites till bubbles are formed, add in cream of tartar.
9. While whisking, slowly add in sugar in 4-5 additions and whisk egg whites until stiff peaks are formed
10. Add 1/3 of the meringue (egg whites mixture) into the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
11. In 3-4 additions, gently fold in remaining meringue into the mixture.
12. Pour into cake tin and sprinkle the bak kwa and Parmesan cheese evenly over the cake mixture.
13. Bake for 75 mins
13. Remove from cake tin and allow it to cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy your Bak Kwa Castella just out of the oven for that toasted Parmesan goodness or even enjoy it when its cooled down.
With that, let me end of with saying I’m Back!
I disappeared for a whole year or even more (My Last post on baking was on Mooncake! (Sept 2016). I was spending most of my time with school, attachments and stuff. So now I’m excited to be back with lots of tried recipes to share! Let me know what you are interested in making. In the meantime, try out the Bak Kwa Castella cake and let me know how it goes.